Gaming ends relationships?

According to a poll by the Daily Mail, gaming does indeed foster negative feelings in relationships, sometimes leading to their demise. For some reason, this poll was only for relationships where the male was the gamer (which is pretty typical, although it would be interesting to see the results from the other way around). Apparently 50% of women who date guys that own a console are jealous of the amount of time their partner was spending with it.

From the Daily Mail:

The survey of 1,500 gamers and their partners was undertaken by One-Poll.com. A spokesman said: ‘It seems like a games console often means there are three people in a relationship.

‘It’s a bit sad if the virtual world is taking precedence over the real world.’

The list for the top 20 “relationship-ending” games is as follows:
15. F1
16. Red Dead Redemption
17. Need for Speed
18. Fallout
19. Gears of War
20. Angry Birds

First off, I am SO surprised to see Mario Kart so high on the list, and WoW so low. I can’t even understand how Mario can even be there on the first place.

And WTF is “Angry Birds”?

What do you think about this list? Leave a comment or tweet your thoughts @HelloLiefje

Source: The Daily Mail

TAGS: , , , , ,

17 Comments

1. Liefje says:

I really think that this list is bullshit. The rest of the article is pretty bullshit too, but then again it is the Daily Mail.

The quote from the woman who says “My boyfriend is addicted to Call of Duty: Black Ops. I’d love it if he would spend all that time talking to me. Even though I see him every day I think the game is more important than me…”. Let’s be honest here. Would you REALLY love it if you TALKED to your boyfriend for 6 hours a day? REALLY? Don’t YOU have anything better to do? Get a hobby of your own.

To some extent, I understand the complaints of these women, but then it’s up to them to discover the underlying reasons why your boyfriend is paying attention to video games if you need him (eg: you have some kind of “crisis” and he is ignoring you. It’s a given that he’s going to ignore you when you want him to do chores). If that really is the case then either find out what he is escaping from so badly with video games, or dump his ass and find someone who cares about you.

2. Joachim says:

You don’t know Angry Birds??? Shame on you! ;)

3. Joachim says:

You dont know Angry Birds??? Shame on you! ;)

4. Tetra says:

And I thought wow will be first!

5. Marc Onofrio says:

I also wondered about WoW – how on earth could that be so low?!

Then I realised that most people who play WoW to an extent that it takes over their lives are people who would probably prefer to date a Night Elf Druid with no gear on than an actual girl, hence the lack of data.

Also no SC2 or QuakeLive, proving once more that us real gamers are totally awesome and irresistible to women (right? right?)

6. Liefje says:

Yeah I believe this about WoW…

But I think you are also right about SC2 / QL players… and then I see CS is not on there either!! :X Then I have to say, maybe CS guys aren’t as bad as they seem… :P

7. Mike says:

I don’t believe this list to be really accurate. As long as I don’t see Quake on the list I’m a proud gamer :D

8. goodfriend says:

I, as a girl who plays games a lot, would say that gaming starts realationships :D Becaus gaming is a hobby right? :D :)))

But when I look at my parents. My dad is playing Runes of Magic all the time and mum is not happy about it. But it isnt like she was jealous or sth, they arent kids to be jealous about everything like I am :D But the thing is when he spends all the time in front of pc its sad, because they used to go out together before and now they dont. Go out – go for a trip or for a walk .. well sorry for my bad english and so on.. just wanted to say that its bad for relationship when someone is too much addicted to playing games x).

Maybe if I will find some guy so we will be both addicted to pc, it wont be such a problem :D

Sorry for big spam and have fun ;)

9. Liefje says:

hmm u are right! if your mum was playing too, it would just be a different way for them to spend time together but it is a bit sad if it does cut into their time together :(

10. Philip says:

Liefje, just read up on some very basics of psychology and you’ll soon learn why FPS games can be just as addictive as MMORPG, eating, whatever.

Regarding the actual list, I can’t claim it’s bullshit. I neither believe or disbelieve it, as there’s no real evidence to support it either way.

“Actual studies by actual scientists have shown that the addictive games”

Most things can be addictive… Forget actual studies and go learn some basics on the human brain, lol.

• Liefje says:

Of course, it’s to do with the reward system. You obviously missed the sarcasm in “actual scientists…” but I guess it’s because you’re too busy reading about the human brain to use your own ;)

11. Philip says:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    “Of course, it’s to do with the reward system.”
    Sarcasm again? It has nothing to do with the reward system. Also, you’re now justifying your argument which was originally wrong, and you later claim was sarcasm anyway.
    “but I guess it’s because you’re too busy reading about the human brain”
    No. I said you should read, that’s not the same as saying I have been doing so:
    “Liefje, just read up on some very basics of psychology”

Personal attacks, sarcasm, and other stuff aside, your argument as it is written, quite simply is fallacious. Your ignorant and merely want to reply ad hominem (calling you ignorant isn’t insulting, I mean it by literal definition, so please don’t take offence to that statement).

So if you read this:
    “Actual studies by actual scientists have shown that the addictive games are MMOs, and I have even read some guys dissertation that was focused on case studies of broken up marriages due to MMO “addiction”. At least with a game like CoD, you can stop after one map if necessary. You aren’t “chained” into it for many hours, much like you are when you go on a raid in WoW.”

Interpret it as it is written (note: sarcasm isn’t implied), it’s quite simply, nonsense. However, if you take it as sarcasm, it’s still nonsense anyway.

Reward system really has nothing to do with addiction. Dare I say it, one can be addicted to things such as confrontational arguing without actually, consciously enjoying arguing. The reasons for this is because subconsciously they enjoy it, the brain releases chemicals when they argue and this is thrilling for them. They can’t consciously work this out and quite probably, dislike confrontation. However, if they subconsciously get enjoyment from it due to endorphins being released, then an addiction can happen because they want the same micro-thrill to happen again.

No doubt you will reply with more ad hominem anyway. But think about this, at least:

FPS gaming. You have the confrontation: arguing with people in games, perhaps more so than fighting A.I. They’re generally more competitive, you’re in situations that are generally more aggravating but at the same time, this can be a place for addiction. There is also, the simple routine of playing the game. Just getting into a routine of doing something can lead to addiction. Both genres have situations where one can be addicted, and to say you’re addicted to a specific game, in my opinion would be wrong. There is way more to it than that, obviously, but to claim one is more addictive than the other, would require way more evidence than anyone has given.

Not sure why I bothered to write out all of this to someone who would no doubt argue completely different had this of been in real life. Hopefully, you can reply with something less childish this time though.

12. Philip says:

Damn, I was hoping you’d reply insulting the “Your ignorant” and offer nothing substantial to counter the argument.

I am disappoint.